Sunday, June 7, 2009

....and I thought I had everything planned....

Well, my sweet friends...this is a post I recently posted on Facebook. I am posting it here so that you blogger friends can read it. I know you have probably already read it on FB anyways, but here goes.....

I am writing you this note because it is a lot easier for me to say it once then to call each of you and explain what is going on. First, I want to say thank you for your prayers and support. The past week has been easier because I knew you were behind me and praying for me. For those who are unaware of what is going on, here is an explination....

On Saturday night, I lost vision in my right eye. I’m not completely blind, but my vision is very blurry, making it incredibly difficult to read, facebook stalk, and watch TV. I thought it was just a problem with my contact so I ignored it. The next day, the problem persisted, and it has yet to go away. I spent half the day on Tuesday and all day Wednesday in the Eye Center wing of the Washington Hospital Center. The doctors are amazing and I have actually enjoyed my experience, but as an uninsured patient, things are not easy for me. I am fortunate to have found the WHC because they see patients who have no income and who are uninsured at a very reasonable price. I was seen by 4 different doctors and had 3 or 4 different tests done. No one could figure out what was wrong. They said my eye is perfectly healthy and looks exactly like it should. Since we know it's not my eye, it must be a problem in the brain. This could also explain other problems I have been experiencing like my extreme dizziness, sensitivity to light, fatigue, and a number of other issues. The doctor ordered an MRI, but since I am uninsured, I can't afford to get this test done. It will cost $4500 for the one test. After hours of crying and worrying, I finally found a place that would do my MRI for $1400- the exact amount I had in my savings. Although it was incredibly hard to write a check for that amount, I am confident that the Lord knew what He was doing when I put that money into my savings account only a few months ago. My MRI was scheduled for 3pm on Thursday and this morning I picked up the results and took it to my doctor to be analyzed.

Here are the results.... Basically, I have what’s called optic neuritis. Optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve, which causes vision loss. Also found in the MRI were two small areas of white matter changes which are suggestive of a demyelinating disease like multiple sclerosis. Although I have not been diagnosed with MS yet, I have many of the beginning signs of it. I have started IV treatment today and will continue to receive IV treatment for the next few days at the hospital. This treatment will speed up recovery to my lost vision and decrease any reoccurrence that may come up within the next few years. I will begin oral steroids after my IV treatment is over and I will begin to see a neurologist in the future. In order to be diagnosed with MS, I have to show two separate occurrences of the disease, the vision loss being the first one. I show other signs currently, but until I have another MRI done to confirm or deny those symptoms, I cannot be diagnosed with MS yet. So, that’s it!

I would appreciate your continued prayers as I deal with this problem so far away from home. Honestly, I am very homesick but I know I am supposed to be here for a reason. I am lucky to have such a great support system here in DC and I couldn’t have asked for better friends. I am thankful for all of you who have called, prayed, and cared for me, both here in DC and in Texas. It is in times like these that make a person realize how great the body of Christ is. I have first hand experience with this! I can’t imagine going through this without you. Please know that you are so important to me, even if this message seems to be generic. For the ones that actually read this note, I know who you are. I have been thinking about you and I am glad you are reading this because I wanted you to know! Please do not be offended that I couldn’t personally call you all to tell you this important news. I’ve been on the phone constantly the past few hours and it’s very hard to retell it so many times. I love you so much. You are a blessing to me!


...i am intentionally not tagging anyone in this note, even though i want to. i dont want to forget anyone!



....edit....
i forgot to mention that some how the Lord provided the funds for my IV treatment to be paid for in full. I don't know how, but my doctor and social worker worked very hard to get it covered for me. I would not have been able to do the treatment if it wasn't for this! I will always remember the moment that my AMAZING doctor sat down next to me to tell me the news. Her eyes welled with tears and she said, "it's covered! you can do the treatment!" I could feel her compassion for me, her patient, and at that moment, I was thankful to her for her dedication to me. She knew the struggle I was going through financially, and being only a few years older than me, I felt like she was acting as my friend. I have been truly blessed to have her as a doctor and I couldn't have asked for anyone better. She has made me feel at ease here in a foreign place. She has answered my hundreds of questions and was patient with me when I lost it to tears. I felt like she really cared for me as a person and that she was on my side. THE LORD IS GOOD! HE PROVIDES FOR ALL OF OUR NEEDS!! HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING WHEN HE PUT ME UNDER THE CARE OF DR. J!

No comments: